Monday, March 21, 2011

Folding Kings Preflop

Last night I folded KK preflop. Let me layout the scenario.

I'm playing 5/5 at a friend's home game. UTG+1 seems very tight and missed an easy valuebet earlier in the night with a set on the river on a AJ7K5 board.
He raised UTG+1 to 20, and gets 3 callers. I'm in the BB, and I look down at two Kings. I make it 115.

He makes it 400 to go in under a second. Everyone else folds. Effective stack are $1,100 to start.

Most people never fold kings, but let's discuss the reasons we would fold, and the reasons we would go all in. We are never flat calling with these stack sizes.

All in
1. We have Kings. Kings are the second best hand in the game and it's really hard to get dealt aces.
2. He could be overvaluing QQ, JJ, AK
3. My table image is somewhat wild
4. He hasn't been at the table that long, so I haven't develop super solid reads yet.

Fold
1. Guy is very tight. Doesn't seem like the type of player to run a move even if I have a loose image. He MIGHT widen his 4bet range, but I assume he's more likely to call my 3bets wider.
2. He raised UTG+1
3. He 4bet huge without even thinking
4. He didn't seem worried at all
5. I saw him flat call AK earlier in the night for a single raise.
6. With 700 more behind, he might fold AK, QQ, JJ. He will never fold AA or KK
7. Although, I've been in a lot of pots, I've mostly just showdown big hands.




After tanking, I fold face up and ask if he has aces.
He shows me QQ.
Oops.

Even though I folded the best hand, I think my logic is pretty sound. I think it's a good fold with what I knew at the time. I won't fold KK for 100bb, but that's because a lot of people will it get it in much lighter when they are shorter.


I'll see you across the felt.
Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment