Monday, August 10, 2009

Playing with 2006 WSOP ME Champ

I went to a home game in the mission viejo area yesterday. Showed up around 12:30 so I had a chance to play the sunday majors online while playing the home game. I played 10/25 with Jamie Gold. He's a bit of a calling station, which is kinda weird cause when he won the 2006 ME he played a lot more aggresively. I think he may have gotten worse.

I was on the right end of a huge cooler while I was there. I raised QQ to 80 UTG at a 6 handed game, and the BB made it 500. That's a huge reraise, and I really wanted to fold right there. We weren't quite deep enough to set mine, but I thought QQ might be ahead here sometimes. That could be wishful thinking against this particular opponent. Regardless I eventually decided to call.
The flop came down Q J 6 rainbow, and he decided to check! This was suprising. I decided if he had AK (I don't even think he reraises it preflop), he may call a small/medium sized bet here anyways, so I bet 500. If he has AA, KK, or JJ, he will probably raise or call, so either way I want to make sure money goes in when I'm ahead.
The turn is an A. He quickly checks, and now I'm very supicious that he just turned top set. I check behind.

The river is the most beautiful Queen I've ever seen. I almost fell out of my chair, but managed to contain my excitement. He instant announces he bets 1500 and I was so certain he had aces full that I just instantly moved in, expecting him to call regardless how much more it was. He indeed snap called and turned over pocket aces. I flip over quad queens, and scoop the 8k pot. I run good.

Over all I won about 4k, but I sold half my action in order to reduce my varience. I'm not bankrolled for a 10/25 game, but the game was really too good to not play. Looking foward to seeing it run again. Playing with Jamie was fun, he's really friendly at the table but I didn't have any really interesting hands with him at the 10/25 game. But after the 10/25 broke, we both moved to the 5/5 game. There is one crazy hand I had with him there.

A weak player raises to 20, and I make it 60 in an isolation attempt with T7d.
Jamie cold calls my raise from the SB, and the weak player calls.

The flop is Kc 7h 8d. They check to me and I bet 115. Gold check raises to 450, and the other guy folds. I think for a bit and then shove for 700 total. Gold instantly calls.
My read is right, bottom pair is good. He has T9h.

The turn is sick. The Kh rolls off, giving him any heart, or ten for a win, and any 8 for a chop.

The river is a 6, and he completes his straight to scoop the pot.

Sick hand, but a fun one. I'm just glad it didn't happen at 10/25.
I ended up breaking even in the 5-5 game which is good enough considering that hand.



I'm going to try to satellite into the WPT Legends of Poker event. I haven't managed to sell enough of my action to just straight buy in, so I'm gonna just have to sat in and win it. Take that haters.

I'll see you across the felt.
Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment