Thursday, December 20, 2007

Progress Post #2 :( Losing on the first session!

Just got home from work! Working for my dad is definitely more interesting that other employers, I spent over an hour arguing about black holes, star collapse and the boundaries of the universe. Most of it was during my lunch hour though.

So, I played my first session yesterday. I plan to play another session after this post is finished.

End Results
Cash Games
Hands Played - 952, playing 4 tables of $25nl ($25 max buy).
Net Winnings - -$75.02
Quality of Play - Poor, I definitely was too aggressive in some spots and didn't fold enough.

Tournament
$25 + $2.50, $6000 guarantee = Busted out of the money, felt like I played ok. I should go with my reads though.

Net on the day = -$102.52

I definitely felt I played below average. I got stubborn and didn't want to let go of my hands sometimes. I bet all 3 streets with air, and think I went on a tilt a bit. I also ran into bigger hands a few times, and didn't fold when I thought I was beat. I think another goal for myself in this year is to learn to trust my instincts. They always seem spot on.

This is a good example of everything I mentioned.
I was like 90% sure he had at least a better 3 of a kind, and yet I called his raise anyways. Try to figure out his hand range by the river before looking at results.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB
(5 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Button ($20.24)
SB ($39.80)
Hero ($38.54)
UTG ($17.50)
MP ($8.90)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3s, Kh.
UTG calls $0.25, 2 folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.75) Kc, Ks, 5s (3 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $0.75, UTG calls $0.75, SB folds.

Turn: ($2.25) 9h (2 players)
Hero bets $1, UTG calls $1.

River: ($4.25) 6c (2 players)
Hero bets $2, UTG raises to $8, Hero calls $6.

Final Pot: $20.25
Results in white below:
Hero has 3s Kh (three of a kind, kings).
UTG has Kd 9c (full house, kings full of nines).
Outcome: UTG wins $20.25.



I think it's pretty obvious I'm beat here. UTG limped, which probably includes a lot of hands like K2s+, K8o+ and 22-99. I don't think he will call twice and then raise the river as a bluff with many hands. He MIGHT do it with a flush draw, but I think I see a better hand nearly every time. I practically turned my hand face up by betting all 3 streets. I lose to K5, K6, K9-AK, 55, 66, 99. I lose to 87s which could very well be here and he could show up with AK here more often then I would think, I've seen a lot of people open limp AK, despite how poor a play that is. I chop the pot with K2-K4, K7, K8, which is really my best hope when I call. At higher limits you may see someone turn up a busted flush draw more often, but I think at $25nl it's not that likely. So I'm basically calling $6 to win half of $14.25. I have a little less than 1:1.2 odds, which is definitely not a good spot to be in. This was definitely a fold, I just didn't want to let go of my hand.


I played an interesting reraised pot with AJh OOP. It might have been better to fold preflop, but this same guy had 3bet me earlier and instantly folded to my 4bet.



Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (5 handed)
Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

BB ($11.52)
UTG ($39.33)
Hero ($25.35)
Button ($25.27)
SB ($18.70)

Preflop: Hero is MP with As, Jh.
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.85, Button raises to $2.35, 2 folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($5.05) 3c, 9h, Jd (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75.

Turn: ($10.55) 4s (2 players)
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($10.55) Ah (2 players)
Hero checks, Button bets $5, Hero raises to $20.25 (All-In), Button folds.

Final Pot: $35.80

I'm not really sure what he had here. I'm guessing if he's reraising me light he could have a really wide range preflop. I checked the flop to pick off a continuation bet, because I felt there was a good chance I had the best hand right now. I also felt if I bet into him on the flop, I could raised by worse hands, and be forced into a really tough spot.
The turn might as well be a blank, so I simply checked again. I think if he bets again, I'll call, but I won't be happy about it. I could check/raise the turn all in, but on a board that dry, I don't think I'll ever be called by a worse hand.
The river was really interesting. I think he's aggressive enough to bet at the Ace to represent AK with any hand that doesn't contain a pair. I think he will also bet sometimes with pocket pairs below 99 to bluff, and sometime bet pocket pairs above 99 for value. It would be an odd check with QQ-AA on the turn though, so I don't think he has those. He always bets for value with a set, and if he has it, I just have to pay him off. I decide to check, because if I bet into him, I don't think I get called by worse than TT, and may even fold TT. I also think I will not raise me without an ace or better, but I think he will bet any ace, and may even call a check/raise. So, I plan to check/raise all in.
He folded instantly which leads me to believe he probably had a hand that was a pocket pair less than 99, maybe a suited connector or something. Maybe even KQ. I'm definitely curious to see what other people think about this hand.

There were a few other hands that I made some questionable decisions, but after talking to Mike (my friend who plays 50nl full ring), and Flanagan (another friend who plays 200nl 6max), I feel better about it. I definitely got semi coolered, I got AA beaten by a guy who flopped a heart flush when I had the Ah, and I got the nut flush draw AI vs a lower flush draw and he caught a pair.

I've been having some trouble with getting PokerAce Hud to work on Ultimate Bet. If anyone knows how to make it work, I'd greatly appreciate it if you told me.

I read some interesting material online and I think I'll try to deliberately play tighter for this session. I'm going to play with an opening range of
UTG: 22+, ATo+, A2s+, KQo, JTs+
MP: 22+, A9o+, KJo+, QJo+, JTs+, 45s-T9s if diamonds.
CO: A2-A5o, A9o+, JTo+, QTo+, KTo+, 45s+, T8s+
BTN: K9o+, 53s+, K8s+, Q8o+, J7o+, 43s+, 78o+, A2o+
SB: Depends on the BB, gonna play a slightly wider range than the button probably.

I'll also call raises tighter this time, and try to ease up on the aggression. They aren't playing back at me that much.

Wish me luck!

Never give up!
Bryce

For new players, I have some terms you may not understand.
Here is a quick list.
AI - All in.
UTG - Under the Gun or first to act preflop
SB - Small Blind
BB - Big Blind
MP - Middle Position, 2 off the button in 6 handed games.
CO - Cutoff, 1 off the button in 6 handed games.
BTN - The button.
3bet - A reraise. The action goes bet, raise and reraise. The reraise is the 3rd bet.
4bet - A rereraise. So it's bet, raise, reraise, rereraise. Or bet, raise, 3bet, 4bet.
25nl - This is a term for the "limit" or the stakes at which the game is played. I was playing a game with $.10/$.25 blinds and the minimum buyin is $5, and the maximum is $25. Likewise 50nl is a game with a big blind of $0.50, the max buyin 100x the big blind and the minimum 20x the buyin. The small blind is usually half of the big blind.
6max - This means a game where the maximum number of players at any time is six. XXh/XXc/XXd/XXs - This means Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, and Spades, respectively.
XXs - This can also mean suited. If a specific suit doesn't make sense at the time, it probably means any suited cards. I didn't explain all of them, so feel free to ask about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment