Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Progress Post #1: So, it begins and poker goals for the new year.

I decided to make a blog to record my poker exploits. I know people who like to hear how I do, and I wanted a place to post random thoughts related to poker. I'll try to update after every session, maybe on a daily basis. More likely it will be from once to three times a week. Going to contain some content about hands I played, strategy and theory, and general venting and self depreciating humor or something like that. My writing isn't very high quality, but I'm going to be pretty lax about it. That said, if you do find errors, feel free to mention them and I will correct them. And of course, any questions, statements and arguments over poker are welcomed as well.

Anyways, onto my goals.
January 1st to December 31st. - multiply my bankroll 50x over. I have a roll of about $500 as of December 19th. I don't know where it will be by the 1st, but I'm hoping to win about $25,000 in the following year. I'm not sure how likely that will be seeing how I will have to put a primary focus on my tough school schedule, but I think it's within reason if I dedicate a lot of free time to poker.

The month of January - I want to put a lot of time in on studying to improve. I think I have a lot more to learn, especially in the self control department. I read an article of Card Player called "The 'Want' of Poker" (that I got from Morongo) and in it, John Vorhaus mentioned that "Seeing other as they truly are is useful in poker, but seeing yourself as you truly are is absolutely critical to sucess." The article is about what a player wants, and your wants will determine how you play. It's easy from having a want of winning money to changing to being I want to be unstuck this session. Tilt is a dangerous monster and is very detrimental to my play and my roll.
I think I need to practice better bankroll management, because frankly I suck at it. 4 tabling a limit I only have 9 buyins for is asking to go busto. I do believe however that completely strict rules are a bit to nitty and I'll go over that later.

Be entirely honest to myself about how I do. - If I decide I'm a loosing player, I'm quitting the game. I can not lie to myself that I am not if the math shows otherwise. I plan to put a serious evaluation in every set number of hands and check how I'm doing. I think every 10,000 hands I will sit down and evaluate previous hands and results. I expect by the end of the year I will have a good idea of whether or not I can really win in the long run.

Learn how to play an additional game. - The gamesI'm most interested in is Pot Limit Omaha and various forms of Pineapple. I think I should also try to learn how to play Limit Hold'Em.

Learn to find physical reads. I know some people don't take a lot of faith in them, but from what I've seen from Winston, I feel they can significantly add to your winrate. I also want to learn how to not give off physical reads.

That's all for now...

Wish me luck in '08!

Never give up!
Bryce

No comments:

Post a Comment