Sunday, June 14, 2009

WSOP Adventures - And for the first time, with Color!

So I headed out to Vegas to play poker during the WSOP.
These pictures make me realize I need a higher quality camera than my phone. Oh well.


I get there on Thursday, and play a little cash game poker. I won like 200. I mostly took some time taking in the WSOP. They were playing the 40k annual WSOP event, which was pretty cool. It was a really star studded field of course. I heard Phil Ivey and Tom Dwan (Durrrrr) were sitting right next to each other. By the time I got to the Rio, Durrrr already busted. Lol.

I saw a lot of big name pros. These pictures are from the 10k stud event. It's pretty cool to watch them play.


Howard Lederer and Johnny Chan


Phil Ivey and Greg Raymer

Barry Greenstein, David Benyamine, and Jennifer Harman

Also on that table is Eli Elezra, and Andy Bloch



Kinda cool watching the pros, but it got boring after a while. After all, they play good poker, and that usually means folding. If I saw their cards, it would've been more interesting.


I ran into Sam Stein. I know him from magic, but apparently he is plays poker for a living now. He seems pretty good, and he told me he planned to play a lot of the events. He actually got busted by durrrr in the 10k HU championship. Lol sorry Sam, you got durrrred.

Event #4 is the stimulus special. It was a $1k buyin No Limit Hold'Em tournament. It was expected to have a prize pool over 5 million, and actually drew over 6,000 entrants. Pretty crazy. Dor, John and I all played it.

I managed to find a place to put all my money in preflop with QKs in the 2nd level. Of course, the guy had the nuts. I forget I'm not playing online poker, it's live where a squeeze is always the nuts. Somehow despite the fact, I didn't make it to the first break, I managed to win my last longer bet against John. Woot woot, recoup 1/10th of my buyin.

I also play event #7, a $1,500 NLHE event. I also busted in the first two hours although this time, I made a straight on the river when the guy rivered a flush. Not cool.

My cash game results during that time were pretty up and down. I managed to lose an 8k pot at the Wynn with QQ vs AKo. Dude was a complete maniac, and he backdoored into a straight on the T24r flop. Not cool.

After hearing that Johnny takes pictures of the food he eats, I decided to do the same. I was staying at the Wynn for free (I have no idea how I got comped, but I'll take it), so I decided to drop some cash at one of their specialty restaraunts called Stratta.

I ended up spend $100 somehow on a two course meal with a bottle of water to drink.

Expensive menu, but I guess thats Vegas


The Fiji is $9, the salad is $14.

The main course is Lamb Osu Bucco. $47.
For everything else there is Mastercard. Total bill with tip and tax is like $95 or something.

I also noticed that even the Chipotle in Vegas is marked up. How dare they!




I made a really deep run into event #9. It was the 6 handed No Limit Tournament. I put up the $1,500 to buyin and managed to parlay that into a final table appearance! I cashed for $115k. It was a lot of fun, and playing the final table I didn't feel nervous at all. I felt really relaxed.

Pictures of my chip stack throughout the tournament.
End of day 1. I have about 67,000, we started with 4500.




Before is one of my lower points on day 2, around 50k. After I finish my heater, I have about 200k


approaching the final table, with around 450k. Depsite how many chips I have, I'm actually kinda short stacked cause the blinds have gone up so much.



I ended day 2 really well, and now at the final table I have around 1.5 Million.


I busted in 4th place on a coin flip. TT vs KQh. I ran pretty card dead there, but I ran really good to get to the final table, so I can't complain.



I stayed at the Wynn, and the hotel was pretty sick. Zack and I hit the pool and went downstairs and drank and played some blackjack with some friends. I managed to not lose more than $100, which was my original goal.

And I'll finish with photos of Zack and Nate showing just how much they enjoy BJ's room at the Wynn. They represent their fraternity well.



I'm heading back on the 21st, and now I'm gonna play the WSOP ME for sure. I had a 5 figure payday, a 6 figure payday, clearly a 7 figure one is on the horizon.

I'll be in Vegas for about 3 more weeks.


I'll see you across the felt.

Bryce Yockey

1 comment: